Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Lure of a mystery

I sure don't know what is in the air lately but I have been bitten by the mystery bug again. I was all set to start back on a long term project when I saw Carrie's post at A Passion For Appliqué about a new mystery QAL called the Soupçon Hexagon QAL. This one is all about different techniques and as it is scrap based and small I knew I could use my stash and embark in a bit of fun. It is being run over at the Faeries and Fibers blog and it isn't too late to join in. Parts are released every two weeks with part 2 coming on Friday. You can check out the first part here.

And here is my beginning. I am not sure I love my fussy cutting with this one but I have lots of great fabrics pulled so we will see where it goes. Hints indicate that part 2 might include some embroidery which I am enjoying more and more these days. Hope whatever it is it distracts from those not so perfect points!

And I finished putting my son's quilt top together. I am working on the backing but have stalled because I have somehow lost a piece of fabric. I just know I have a piece leftover from another project that would make a great accent on the back but I have looked in several places and I can't find it. Oh well, it is bound to turn up, as soon as I have completed the backing without it!

 

 

10 comments:

Raewyn said...

I saw Carrie's post too and got interested - and now after reading yours I've got even more interested!! You've made a lovely start - I wonder what else is in the pipeline?! Your son's quilt is very effctive - what is it about missing things that always turn up when it is too late?!

Mayleen said...

I've been checking out that QAL for the past couple of days and may just join even though I have way too many projects! Your son's quilt is looking great.

Carla said...

Your quilt turned out just lovely. Great job

Donna~~ said...

Congrats on your great finish! Hope your possible back turns up. I hate when I can't find something I know is there. Based on my luck (and memory) lately, try looking in the places you know it isn't. The QAL sounds like fun.

Angie in SoCal said...

Well, I love your fussy cutting. It looks great, especially the center. And thanks for the heads up, I thought it was monthly, so I'll look for the next installment this week. Your son's quilt is a beauty too - reminds me of the Arts and Crafts period.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, doesn't that just drive you crazy when you can't find something? That happens to me a lot -- maybe I should be more organized LOL.

Your little mystery block looks perfect from here. I've never done a mystery quilt -- have fun!

Karen H said...

Your hexagon block is lovely. Can't wait to see with it when I publish part 2 on Friday!

Your son's quilt is stunning. It looks like stained glass. As far as the missing fabric goes I often have the same problem and it generally turns up after I've substituted a different fabric!

Brandie said...

I started the mystery too! If fact I had three starter block already. I couldn't decide which one was better, lol.
Isn't that always the way? You know that you have the perfect piece but it goes into hiding TILL you have moved on.

Carrie P. said...

so glad you are joining in the mystery quilt sew along. I just love your star. Great quilt too.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your'e posting faster than I can comment! I love that star , the fussy cutting looks great! Your FLW window quilt is so wonderful. The pattern is so perfect for the fabrics. Isn't it frustrating when you can find something you know you had in your sewing room, I hope it turns up soon.